Thursday, January 10, 2013

This ones for Africa...

So, if you haven't noticed yet we have a little section called Madagascar Monthly. I mentioned in our first post that I would be moving to Madagascar in April and now I want to give you a little more insight into what I do and how this all came about!

How my love of Africa started...

Summer before last, I spent 3 months living in an orphanage in Jinja, Uganda. It was after my sophomore year of college and after I had a radical life change. I had truly fallen in love with my Savior instead of just going through the motions (highly recommend it).

During my time in Uganda my faith grew tremendously. My love for the kids, culture, people, food, and everyday life in Africa was overflowing. While I was there, 35 children lived in the home. I had the joy of working with the rambunctious toddler boys! All 15 of them. Let's just say getting 15 boys to bed was very similar to a 3 ring circus. 

We would sing, laugh, and I would attempt to dance as we sang Wiki Waka. We would read stories about Jesus, pray over our meals, and sing songs so loud you could hear them when you were walking back from the market. Jesus shined through the faces of these children. Oh how they are loved! I want to show you two boys who I fell in absolute love with...    
Vincent
Christopher
So, now you know a little of why I first fell in love with Africa. And now what I am doing in Madagascar...

I first heard the opportunity of doing TIMO (training in ministry outreach) from a friend of Jessica's. I looked into it and loved what Africa Inland Mission was about. I talked with a few people from the organization and my obsession grew. However, once I got into Moody Bible Institute I put all things TIMO aside... well... until about mid semester. It consumed my thoughts. The possibility of getting hands on training while serving in Africa for 2 1/2 years was mind blowing to me. Long story short... I finished my semester and then dropped out of Moody (no worries I am going back to graduate... eventually) and am going with AIM to Nosy Be, Madagascar. I will be serving along side 16 teammates and a local team leader to the Sakalava people group. We will learn the language and build  relationships and down the road show them Jesus. 

Our housing will be typical island huts with no running water or electricity. I will admit that it will take some getting used to, but I am always up for an adventure! 


For a long time I have been trying to figure out what I want to do with my life. A little fun fact: God will take care of that. He has placed this opportunity in front of me and has been swinging doors open left and right. As soon as I had any doubts, God was there to diminish them. I can't wait to start my life on my little island home of Nosy Be. I can't wait to see what God will do in the hearts of the Sakalava and my team. Ready for my world to be rocked. I will post updates on here once a month, but I will more than likely have a separate blog for more frequent updates. I will talk about that once I am closer to departure! Hope this gives you a little more insight into my life.

blessings.
-tori  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment