Saturday, February 9, 2013

{14 Days of Valentines} Day Nine: Chalkboard Trays


I have long been a fan of trays, and making these involves several of my favorite things- paint, chalkboard, and cheap!
The redpink and vanilla white makes them perfect for serving treats or leaving notes for those you love throughout the month of February.  Better yet, throughout the year!
Here's the easy way to make your own:
I hit Goodwill and garage sales whenever possible to find great sturdy picture frames in all sizes.  Some become chalkboards, and some become chalkboard trays. 
  They usually come with lovely art, which needs to be removed, and my best half has decided it makes a nice addition to his work area in the barn.
 Here's an assortment, art removed and lightly sanded.
 Next, I choose one of my paint colors to paint the empty wood frame.
I usually distress with sandpaper and wax to seal it.
 I find cute handles and my best half screws them on for me.

The frame then needs some of this wood-stuff, cut to fit where the lovely art once lived.  Best half to the rescue again, because this is out of my league.
 He tells me it's called Masonite.  You can buy sheets inexpensively at the big home improvement centers and if you take your measurements with you, they'll cut the sheet into the pieces you need at little or no charge.

Once they are cut, they need chalkboard paint.  It comes in brush on and spray!
I find that the brush (or roll) on is better for larger chalkboards, and the spray is fine for smaller trays.  The spray gets splotchy when used in large areas.  Paint the slick side with at least 2 coats, letting it dry well between.  Don't be worried if you see light brush strokes, they lay down as the paint dries.

Time to assemble the tray.  Here comes help from the best half again!

He attaches the chalkboard into the frame with small nails all around.  I have used a staple gun, but the nails look neater.
 So, when I said it was easy, I guess my part was.  Without my sweet husband, it wouldn't get finished!
This amazing man came into my life over 30 years ago, and I am grateful that God gave us the gift of each other.  

 
 Remember you are loved.

He makes beautiful things!
Y.


No comments:

Post a Comment