Monday, December 17, 2012

{DIY} Gold Glitter Serving Bowls

I have been preparing for Knox's first birthday party for about six months now (yes, seriously) because I wanted it to be absolutely perfect. This is our busiest time of year at the store, so I knew I had to get a head start. We decided on a North Pole theme since his birthday is so close to Christmas. I'll do a post on his whole party this weekend! I promised myself (and my husband) that I would be frugal, so frugal I was!


I found these simple red plastic serving bowls at Hobby Lobby for $7 each in the Christmas section. Since we all know that you don't buy anything at Hobby Lobby unless it's half off that week, I got them for $3.50 each.

I knew right off the bat that I had to do something to spruce them up a little bit. I planned to paint them, but I wanted them to have a little something else. I am currently obsessed with with Krylon Glitter Blast spray paint, so I decided that would be my little something extra!


I turned the bowls upside down because I wanted the inside to stay red (and food safe). I started with a coat of Rust-Oleum Metallic Gold spray paint because the Glitter Blast paint doesn't cover very well on its own.



I left the bowls outside for a couple of hours to dry. (This is super important because if the first coat isn't completely dry, the Glitter Blast paint will never dry on top.)

Last, I very generously gave the bowls a coat of Golden Glow Glitter Blast paint. Be careful though, because this paint is very thin and will leave drip marks!

Since the bowls were originally translucent, the solid layer of gold on the outside makes the red so much richer and more vibrant on the inside. And there you have it: inexpensive, simple, pretty bowls!


2 comments:

  1. LOVE that idea!!!! They look much more festive, and not just a plain plastic bowl anymore! Mind if I pin that to Pinterest? (It's ok to say you do mind.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Dustee! We would love for you to pin and don't mind a bit!

    ReplyDelete