Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Alverson Family Tradition: Creepy Santa.

In the Alverson household, we have many traditions. You know...things like baking cookies, watching home videos, and hiding a Creepy Santa around our house. Just the usual.


Mom needs to interject here. "Can I just add that Tori started the alternative Christmas traditions many years ago when she was just a little girl? I can be somewhat of a compulsive 'straightener' and I noticed I would have to keep straightening up the nativity every time I passed by. Sometimes Mary and Joseph would be facing backwards, and Baby Jesus would be moved to various places. This went on for a couple of years until dad and I realized who was responsible.


As she got older, she got more creative. It wasn't until after my lovely Christmas open house that I noticed this:


Creepy Santa started 3 years ago. He was a very nice gift from one of my students and I put him out every year. The girls decided he was creepy. I thought he was collectible. Judge for yourself.
After a very long 2010 Thanksgiving Day getting ready for the opening of Blithe Boutique we were all a little punchy. At 1am, as I opened my laundry hamper, Creepy Santa was staring up at me from inside. The fam had all been waiting patiently on the much anticipated shriek and they were not disappointed. They got one last rolling on the floor laughing fit before falling into bed."


As you can see, my mom is playing the victim here. Don't let her fool you. She is just as guilty of hiding Santa as any of us. Her best Santa endeavor?


Well, after spending three months last summer living in an orphange in Uganda, I was ready to see my family. I flew 20 hours with no sleep for 48 hours and left a place I will call home in a few short months. What do I come home to? Santa waiting at the airport for me. With a sign. Standing with the limo drivers. Well played mom. I couldn't help but laugh until I cried.

Mom here, again. There really is one better Creepy Santa story.  "After Tori successfully frightened me several times, I decided to duct tape Santa to the rear window of her car, facing in, knowing she wouldn't see him until she looked in the rearview mirror to back out.  I headed to my staff Christmas party at a nearby restaurant and was bragging to my co-workers about how well I had gotten her.  No sooner had I finished the story, than the hostess from the restaurant came in to the party room and announced loudly, 'Is there someone named Yvette here?'  All eyes were on me as she handed me Creepy Santa and said, 'This is for your birthday. Happy Birthday!'  She's quick, that Tori!"

If you haven't caught on yet, Santa doesn't just come out at Christmas. He is more of a year around treat for the Alverson family.

My mom is a good sport. I was always out to drive her crazy by moving things around and hiding Santa for a good scare. As you can see, our traditions are far from normal, but I wouldn't have it any other way. Let's just say, I won't be surprised if I end up seeing Santa in Madagascar next Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment